Spring hair ideas to satisfy your sweet tooth this Easter...
A delicious blend of chocolate tones from dark to light. Deep and glossy brunette at the roots, with soft, light brunette at the ends. Extra babylights can be added around the face and under the parting to create a natural look. We can tone the ends of the hair to your desired result, whether that be rich and glossy or cool and creamy. Multi-tonal shades help create a gorgeous glow to any skin tone!
Lightening up the ends of your hair will get you ready for the sun, using either your natural colour for your base or an all over tint. Opting for your natural colour will leave you with less maintenance overall. The ends of your hair will be lightened with a freehand balayage technique, only adding to the areas you want to be brighter. Warm, golden caramel or toffee toners can be used after lightening to give you that natural sun kissed look.
Pastels are perfect for Easter and spring. To achieve this extra sweet look, the lighter your hair, the better! The hair will have to be lifted to a very light level before being able to colour with your chosen pastel hue. This may take a couple of appointments but once you have the lighter base, you can then play around with different looks including beautiful purples and pinks!
Going lighter this Spring? Opt for extra fine highlights in creamy blonde, butterscotch and vanilla tones. More highlights added around the hairline will make your blonde look extra bright, and don’t forget your silver shampoo to maintain your fresh new look!
Do you want to change up your colour this Spring? We are offering you £10 off your colour service when booked with stylist Mollie. To take up the offer, quote “CHOCOLATE10” when booking.
Senior stylist Koralie gives us her top tips for getting the most out of your blowdry and how to make it last...
- Shampoo your hair twice! When in the salon, we always wash your hair twice so we recommend to continue this at home. The first wash will remove any grease, dirt and product use. The second shampoo is your cleaning shampoo which will clean your scalp as well as your hair!
- Don’t overdo your conditioner- Remember you only need a thumbnail amount on the mid-lengths and ends, and make sure you spend a bit longer rinsing it all out!
- Use the cool button- Your hairdryer should have a cool button, once you’ve finished your blowdry give it a quick blast with cool air to seal off the cuticle and set it in place.
- Buy a silk or satin pillowcase- Silky pillowcases help to prevent breakage and also stops rubbing whilst you sleep, preventing you to lose your style. Tying your hair up with an Invisibobble or scrunchie too helps and doesn’t cause indentations.
- Dry shampoo before bed- this will absorb the oils during your sleep but also help give it some volume!
- To create the much desired volume when your blow-drying make sure you use products to help give you some lift but remember they aren’t magic you will have to blowdry your roots too. The easiest way is to tip your head upside down, use the medium heat on your hair dryer and slowly lift the roots with your fingertips. Make sure your pulling as much as you giving the roots slight movement, this will keep them straighter as well as giving you lift. Keep pulling each section until your hair is 80% dry. You then need to just smooth off the rest of your hair.
- Avoid touching! Try not to touch and play with your hair. Too much touching will cause frizz as well as stimulating the scalp causing grease and making your style flat.
- Spritz!! Use hairspray to finish your style, even if its only a little bit to hold.
How do you stop static hair?
Static hair is a common problem when the air has become dry, which causes a negative form of electricity. The hair becomes positively charged and strands deflect each other causing your hair to become static and flyaway.
But not to worry, we have some top tips to help...
- Tumble dryer sheets – gently run a sheet over your hair or use it on your hairbrush to smooth the hair. Keep a few in your handbag for when you are on the go!
- Combs - Step away from plastic combs and use ones made from metal or wood. Wide tooth combs are also a great option as the spaced-out teeth reduce friction-induced static.
- Hairspray – spray some on your hairbrush before gently brushing or spray all over and use the can to run down your hair.
- When drying your hair, use a cotton t-shirt as it’s less abrasive & will absorb excess water without taking away most of the moisture like a towel would.
- Moisturiser-If you are really stuck and have nothing else handy, you can use a tiny bit of moisturiser on the ends of your hair to diffuse the static hairs. But be careful, too much will cause your hair to become limp and greasy!
- Prep- Finally, use a hydrating shampoo + conditioner especially ones free from parabens + silicones. At Velvet Rooms 4 Hair, we stock L’Oréal Pro Source Essentielle, Shu Uemura urban moisture, L’Oréal pro Mythic Oil or Label M lemongrass which are all great for adding moisture back into your hair!
Here at the Velvet Rooms, we are a 5-star salon, and we look after your hair with the best products on the market. We care about your hair, and we want it to be in the best condition possible, and to us, this means using the products we recommend for you.
We understand that once you’ve paid for your colour and cut the last thing you want to do is spend even more money on products that have similar alternatives available for a quarter of the price. But listen up! If you take our advice, you will save money in the long term!
Most supermarket bought shampoos and conditioners have sulphates in them which dry the hair out and fade the colour. The reason why shop bought products can feel super smooth after you have washed your hair, is because they contain plastics that coat your hair, but these will eventually leave it brittle, dry, and damaged.
Your stylist will know exactly what product to recommend to you. For example, if your hair is particularly damaged from over processing or colouring, a strengthening and repair product would be great. You need to keep in mind that it will contain protein, so it will not leave your hair silky smooth like cheaper products will. However, if you continue to use it, it will repair your hair and then once this product has done its job your stylist will move you onto another one suited for your hair type or desired colour.
The best part about salon-grade products, and this includes shampoo, conditioner, masks, and serums, is that the ingredients tend to be gentler with fewer fillers, sulphates, and build-ups which create wax and can damage your hair. You also need to use far less of the product as the ingredients have not been watered down and no nasty fillers have been added.
If you take your stylists advise, I can guarantee you will see a change in your hair. It may take a little time, but it will be healthier and will have fewer breakages, it’ll be shinier, and any colour you have in the salon will have a much better outcome on your hair.
We will always recommend three products for you after your service, and as a special gift, we offer you 10% off any purchase. Treat yourself to fabulous hair all year round; you deserve it!
Changing your hair colour, the Pro’s & Cons
Many of us aspire to have the hair of the season and for some this is very achievable and for others this can be quite time consuming, expensive and damaging for your hair. If you are thinking about a colour change here are our best tips, pros and cons.
The best cut for your face shape.
We’re all different & our chosen hair style can really complement our facial features, read on to find which hair style will work for you! When clients come into the Velvet Rooms hair salon for any service but especially when considering a new style, one of the first things we look at
Our new designer at Velvet Rooms.
With over a decade working in famous main chain salons, Fabulous unique small boutique salons and also abroad in the UAE, she has a range of experience in the hairdressing industry
Katie enjoys meeting new clients and helping them personalise a look for their...
Heads up Ladies, brand new for SS’17
Check out L’Oréal’s temporary hair colour!
L’Oréal Professionnel has launched a brand new in-salon service, offering 1,000s of bespoke and personal colourful results. Available in eight brilliant intermixable shades, the possibilities are endless!
We all want thicker, shinier hair that not only looks amazing but also grows quicker with less loss.
It can’t be down to the products alone we use on our hair, that’s a reactive response as opposed to being proactive and giving our hair the very best from the start.
Sundays are made for relaxing, doing little and being comfy! But if you still want to have a good hair day without too much effort, (after all it is the weekend!)
We’ve put together some “lazy Sunday” styles and director Leanne has created a few short easy video tutorials
January- the time to reflect and organise for the year ahead and also the time to recover and recharge from the year before! Here at Velvet Rooms we aim to guide you through the perfect mid-winter hair & beauty regime.
Maybe it’s that fortnight of running around, slouching on the sofa and munching your way through a crazy amount of
Christmas is approaching very quickly and if you are stuck on present ideas and stocking fillers for friends and family why not take a look out our Christmas gift guide?
For her: For a special treat the GHD v gold styler in copper (£135) is the perfect metallic companion for the party season! It’s definitely on our most wanted list this year.
So the news on the street is that we have been chosen to be a Label M salon, amazing news for both us and you.
Colour Specialist sets the standard for colourists that really take colouring hair to perfection. This course was launched in 1998 but has continually evolved, ensuring those that embark upon the journey have an understanding of colouring second to none.
As 2014 marks the competition’s 59th year, the L’Oréal Colour Trophy has been the benchmark of British hairdressing.
IF YOU’RE stuck for what to get him this Christmas, a Chobham hairdresser has come up with a cracker of a present idea.